Ahmedabad: The CBI has arrested two police officers who were part of as many squads that took part in the alleged fake encounter of teenage girl Ishrat Jahan and three others in 2004 in Gujarat. The duo was already under judicial custody in another alleged fake encounter case of Sadik Jamal.

The arrests came close on the heels of the investigating agency picking up SP (Crime Records Bureau) Girish Singhal on Thursday in this connection. While JG Parmar, who retired as DSP and also the complainant in the encounter case, was apprehended Friday night, Tarun Barot, currently Mehsana Deputy Superintendent of Police was picked up this afternoon, sources said on Saturday.

Parmar and Barot, who was then police inspector, were part of the two teams that eventually gunned down Ishrat Jahan and three others riding in a car. Sources said Parmar and Barot were placed under arrest after CBI secured a transfer warrant from court in this regard.With the arrest of the duo, the number of policemen arrested in the case so far has gone up to three.

Meanwhile, a CBI court on Friday rejected the agency's application seeking 14 days' remand of Parmar and sent him to judicial custody. Seeking his remand, CBI counsel Ejaz Khan told the court that the offence was grievous in nature and custodial interrogation is extremely necessary for the investigation into the encounter case. The CBI further said that the complicity and involvement of the accused is revealed in the offence committed, which mandates further detailed investigation.

Parmar's counsel Sanjay Thakkar argued that probe into the case has been going on for two years and he had already been interrogated more than once. Taking into account both the versions, CBI judge AU Jujara rejected the remand application on the ground that the accused had already been interrogated once. The agency's plea seeking 14-day remand of Singhal was also rejected by the court.    

Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case

Ishrat Jahan, a Mumbai-based college girl, was killed in a police shootout along with three men in Ahmedabad in 2004 by police who alleged they were LeT militants, a claim rubbished Monday by court-appointed investigators.

June 15, 2004: Gujarat Police claimed they had killed Jahan and three others on the outskirts of Ahmedabad. They said the four were members of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba on a mission to kill Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi

September 2009: Ahmedabad metropolitan magistrate S.P. Tamang calls the shootout fake

August 2010: Gujarat High Court asks the Supreme Court-appointed special investigation team (SIT) to take up the case

September 2010: The high court constitutes a new SIT after the Supreme Court's SIT expressed its inability to undertake the probe

November 2010:
The Supreme Court rejects the Gujarat government's plea challenging the high court order to form the new SIT

December 2010: Three-member SIT begins investigation in the case and starts recording statements of the witnesses, police officials involved

November 21, 2011: SIT tells the Court that the shootout was staged. The court ordered that a fresh complaint needs to be filed against those involved in the fake shootout under Section 302 that covers death penalty for the accused

December 1, 2011: High Court handed over the case to the CBI and has been monitoring the investigations


Latest News from India News Desk