"It has been two years but we are yet to get justice. Those who were accused are out on bail and we have heard that the hospital will reopen. We still hope that truth will prevail and my family will get justice," said Suvojit Roy, who lost his 65-year-old sister Gita Roy Chowdhury in the fire.
In the worst hospital fire tragedy India had ever witnessed, more than 90 people (mostly patients) were choked to death from the toxic fumes after a fire broke out in the basement of the seven-storeyed hospital's annexe building in the early hours of December 9, 2011.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had then demanded stringent punishment for the accused. "We demand speedy justice and strict punishment of those who are guilty. Only those who have lost their near and dear ones can understand the pain. It is very painful to see those who were arrested after the incident, out on bail," said Abhijit Sen, son of Sisir Kumar Sen who died in the incident.

The government had given compensation to the family members of the deceased after the incident. "Yes, the government might have given compensation, but can a human life be measured by money? We are still hopeful that the system will not fail us, we will get justice. Those who are guilty can't escape punishment only because they are rich and powerful," said Pradip Dutta, brother of Dipali Das, another victim.

The fire had not only taken the lives of people, but had also pushed several kins of the victims to misery as many lost the sole earning members of their families. "The death of my husband was a shock, but with his death we are in misery. I have two sons who are still studying and have to run the family. It is very tough," said the wife of another victim.
A forum was formed after the incident with the relatives of the victims as its members to pursue the case in the court of law. "The case is now moving fast. There is a hearing very soon and we only pray that justice is not far away," said Anirudhha Roy Chowdhury, a member of the forum.


Latest News from State News Desk