New Delhi: Doctors at AIIMS on Monday conducted another life saving surgery on the battered two-year-old girl child, who still remains in a critical condition.

After medical reports revealed water accumulation in her brain, doctors were compelled to carry out the surgery in the afternoon, to ensure that she does not enter into a more serious phase.

As the child entered into the 13th day of her stay in the hospital, doctors attending on her at the Intensive Care Unit of Jai Prakash Narayan AIIMS Trauma Centre said that her condition remains the same and she had to be put back on ventilator in the wee hours on Monday.

Dr Deepak Aggarwal, a neurosurgeon attending on the girl said, "We did a surgery on her brain some time back. Fluid had accumulated in her brain and it needed to be taken out. It would have been fatal for her if we had not done the surgery promptly."

This is the second surgery the two-year-old child has undergone after she was brought to the hospital on January 18.

"The first surgery was conducted for removal of a blood clot in the brain. It was conducted immediately after her admission here," he said.

The fluid sample collected from her brain will be tested to find out whether there was any infection, he said.

The child was brought to the hospital with severe head injury, both her arms broken, bite marks all over her body and her cheeks branded with hot iron.

She was brought to the hospital by a teenage girl who claimed to be her mother and had cited a fall from the bed as the reason for the child's pathetic state.

Any case of sexual abuse has been ruled out after a gynaecologist carried out test on her for the same, few days back. Forensic scientists are yet to verify if the marks on her body are that of human bite.

Cops trace her parents

Meanwhile, Delhi Police have successfully found important clues regarding the parents of the battered two-year-old girl (Falak, name changed) admitted at AIIMS Trauma Centre on the evening of January 18, 2012.

The Delhi police have rushed a unit to an undisclosed location in Bihar in search of her real parents.

Meanwhile, a massive manhunt has been launched to nab Raj Kumar aka Dilshad, a key suspect in the case believed to be in Mumbai. Two police teams are on the lookout for Raj Kumar and have searched all his whereabouts.

Though police officials on Sunday refused to comment on the matter, sources within the department revealed that the girl’s parents are from Bihar. 

Other than Dilshad, the baby girl is believed to have lived with three different people naming Munni, Lakshmi and Manoj. Police found a picture of the girl from the rental house of Raj Kumar’s girl friend Kishori in Mahipalpur.

On the other hand, the baby is battling for life. It has been 12 days since the two-year-old girl was admitted in the neurosurgery ICU of AIIMS Trauma Centre but has failed to recover.