The country's Supreme Court has annulled the results of the first round of polls, which had been held on September 7 and has called for a new vote. "The Secretary-General takes note of the Maldivian Supreme Court's decision ordering fresh Presidential elections to be held within a new time frame," Ban's spokesperson said in a statement. Ban "once again calls on all Maldivians to ensure a peaceful, inclusive and credible process for these elections."

The spokesperson said that Ban "acknowledges the continuing efforts by the Elections Commission of the Maldives. The Commission has announced that a revote will be held on October 19. The election had been seen as an important step in the country’s democratic transition.”

The Maldives underwent a change of government in 2012, when the previous democratically-elected president Mohamed Nasheed had resigned. He was succeeded by his former deputy Mohammed Waheed Hassan. The apex court ruling is seen as a major blow to Nasheed who had emerged as the winner in the first round.

The court had late in September 2013 suspended Presidential elections following a legal challenge, sparking protests and fears of fresh instability in the troubled Indian Ocean archipelago. The directive came in response to a case filed by a political party demanding that the results of the first round on September 7 be annulled because of alleged discrepancies.


Latest News from World News Desk