Manesar:  Police on Thursday arrested 100 workers of the Maruti Suzuki's plant here in connection with Wednesday's violence in which a senior company official, was killed and 50 others were injured.

The charred body of the official, who was caught in the violence triggered by a scuffle over suspension of an employee after a heated exchange of words, was on Thursday identified as that of Awanish Kumar Dev, General Manager HR at the plant.

Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) said the plant has been shut down and no production would take place. The plant, which has an annual capacity of 5.5 lakh units and rolls out Swift, Dzire, SX4 and A-Star models, witnessed strikes on three occasions last year.

In Chandigarh, Haryana Industry Minister Randeep Singh Surjewala said that nearly 100 people had been arrested so far. A couple of more arrests are likely.

"They have been arrested for various charges including murder, attempt to murder and destruction of property," the minister said here when he was asked about government's action with regard to violence at the plant.

Haryana Chief Secretary P K Chaudhery said that taking a serious view of the incident of violence at Maruti's Manesar plant, the State Government has formed a SIT under Assistant Commissioner of Police, Gurgaon, Ravinder Tomar, to investigate the matter.

He gave an assurance that no one would be spared for taking law into his hands and resorting to violence.

MSI in a statement last evening had said that 40 people were injured when workers at the plant "turned violent, attacking and injuring executives and managers in the office premises. The attackers also set fire to property and damaged facilities".

Labour unrest is not a new phenomenon in Manesar plant. The factory had witnessed three such instances last year causing a total production loss of about 83,000 units resulting in a loss of about Rs 2,300 crore.

Back in 2000, Maruti had also witnessed violent labour unrest at its Gurgaon plant. During the three-month long stir the company had to deal with the deaths of two workers, albeit in different circumstances. The then management had maintained that the deaths were not related to the strike.


Latest News from Business News Desk