Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and Tashfeen Malik, 27, his wife and mother of his 6-month-old daughter, were killed in a shootout with police five hours after Wednesday's massacre at the Inland Regional Center social services agency in the city of San Bernardino.

Twenty-one people were wounded in the shooting, which ranks as the deadliest instance of U.S. gun violence in three years.

As the FBI-led investigation pressed on, local authorities completed formally notifying the families of the 14 people who died and released their names to the public.

The victims, all from Southern California, ranged in age from 26 to 60, and most were men, according to a county coroner statement.

Officials in Washington familiar with the investigation said, so far there was no hard evidence of a direct connection between the couple and any militant group abroad, but the electronics would be checked to see if the suspects had been browsing on jihadist websites or social media.

But no information has yet emerged suggesting any ties or contacts between Farook and the Islamic State or other specific militant groups, the source said.

Officials from President Barack Obama to Police Chief Burguan said the attack may have been motivated by extremist ideology but that questions of motive remained unanswered.

The couple entered the United States in July 2014 after a trip that included Pakistan, Bowdich said. Farook also visited Saudi Arabia for nine days in the summer of 2014, the kingdom's embassy in Washington said.

Read more:

>>A couple suspecting of killing 14 people in California identified

>>14 killed in California shooting; one suspect identified

>>Obama calls for gun reforms in wake of California shooting

>>14 killed in California shooting rampage; two suspects dead

Latest News from World News Desk