London: The Formula One United States Grand Prix is set to be called off even before it has had its first edition the sport's supremo Bernie Ecclestone said on Wednesday. (Agencies)
Ecclestone said there was no doubt that at the next meeting of the sport's governing body The FIA on December 7 the race due to be raced in Austin, Texas, in November next year would be pulled from the calendar.
"Yes, it will be, for sure," said Ecclestone, when asked whether the race would be called off.
Ecclestone's remarks came after it was announced on Tuesday that work on the purpose-built circuit - which would have hosted the first Grand Prix in the US since 2007 - has been halted in a dispute among developers, Formula One and promoters.
As the Circuit of the Americas issued a statement on Tuesday confirming construction had been halted, the project was dealt another blow when Texas state comptroller Susan Combs said in a statement that $25 million in state money for the event won't be paid in advance.
A statement issued by the circuit said construction would be halted "until a contract assuring the Formula One United States Grand Prix will be held at Circuit of The Americas in 2012 is complete.
Ecclestone said no contract had been issued because he had yet to receive a guarantee or letter of credit that he would be paid.
"We've done everything we can to make this race happen," he said.
Formula One's last appearance on US soil was in 2007 at the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
In October, New Jersey governor Chris Christie announced plans for the Grand Prix of America to be held from 2013 on a road course on the Jersey shore opposite New York City.
London: The Formula One United States Grand Prix is set to be called off even before it has had its first edition the sport's supremo Bernie Ecclestone said on Wednesday.