Jagran Post

jagran Post
post.jagran.com

US special forces raid terror hideouts in Africa, nab al-Qaeda leader Nazih Abdul-Hamed-al-Ruqani

Publish Date: 06 Oct 2013, 03:12 PM
Last Updated: 07 Oct 2013, 12:08 PM
quick bites

•    al-Qaeda leader Nazih Abdul-Hamed-al-Ruqani nabbed from Tripoli streets
•    FBI had put a reward of USD 5 million on Nazih Abdul’s head
•    US makes its intent clear of capturing terrorists

Representational picture
Representational picture

 

Washington: In one of the most daring raids, US commandos have captured a fugitive al-Qaeda leader from the streets of Libya and raided the seaside villa of an al-Shabaab militant in Somalia, a move which hints towards America's determination to pursue dreaded terrorists abroad.
    
In an operation conducted by US special forces in the Libyan capital of Tripoli, Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai, known by his alias Anas al-Libi, was nabbed on Saturday.
    
The FBI had offered USD 5 million for his capture and he is under indictment in New York for his role in the 1998 bombings of the US embassies in Africa.
    
Describing Libi, as a bigger prize catch, the officials confirmed that he is alive and in US custody.
    
"As the result of a US counter-terrorism operation, Abu Anas al-Libi is currently lawfully detained by the US military in a secure location outside of Libya," Little said. In a separate raid in Somalia, US Navy SEALs carried out a pre-dawn strike against al-Shabaab and al-Qaeda terrorists in Somalia.
    
Confirming the covert operation, a senior US official said that it was aimed towards capturing a high value al-Shabaab terrorist leader allegedly involved in the Westgate Mall attack in Kenya that killed nearly 70 people, including Indians.
    
Although the Shebab leader was believed to have been killed during the assault, the SEALs had to withdraw before they could confirm the kill, a senior US official was quoted as saying by a newspaper.
    
After a fierce firefight, the Navy SEAL team aborted the mission to capture the terror suspect. al-Shabaab, an al-Qaeda linked Somali outfit, had claimed responsibility for the Kenya mall-massacre last month.
    
"I can confirm that yesterday, on October 4, US military personnel were involved in a counter terrorism operation against a known al-Shabaab terrorist. We are not prepared to provide additional detail at this time," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little, said.
    
A US official said no US personnel were injured or killed in the attack.

(Agencies)

Latest News from World News Desk

For Latest News Updates Follow Jagran Post on

SHARE YOUR VIEWS - POST YOUR COMMENT BELOW
We encourage you to log in and comment. Non-logged-in comments will go through a verification process for security reasons.

Characters remaining


Login/Comment with:ORPost your comment using security code
Name*
E-mail*
Word Verification:*
  Type the characters you see in the picture below

    News@Now