Washington: Some of the documents recovered from the Abbottabad hideout of al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden would be released by the US later this week, a top Obama advisor has said.

John Brennan, Assistant to the US President for Homeland Security and Counter terrorism, told audience at a Washington-based think tank on Monday that some of the documents seized last year by US Special forces which killed Osama bin Laden would be released this week.

In fact, Brennan himself quoted from these documents. "With its most skilled and experienced commanders being lost so quickly, al-Qaeda has had trouble replacing them.

This is one of the many conclusions we have been able to draw from documents seized at bin Laden's compound, some of which will be published online, for the first time, this week by West Point's Combating Terrorism Centre.

For example, bin Laden worried about -- and I quote -- "the rise of lower leaders who are not as experienced and this would lead to the repeat of mistakes," Brennan said in his address to the Woodrow Wilson Centre, a Washington-based think tank.

Al-Qaeda leaders continue to struggle to communicate with subordinates and affiliates.

"Under intense pressure in the tribal regions of Pakistan, they have fewer places to train and groom the next generation of operatives," he said.

"They're struggling to attract new recruits. Morale is low, with intelligence indicating that some members are giving up and returning home, no doubt aware that this is a fight they will never win, Brennan said.

In short, al-Qaeda is losing, badly. And bin Laden knew it, he claimed. In documents US seized, Laden confessed to "disaster after disaster."

He even urged his leaders to flee the tribal regions, and go to places, "away from aircraft photography and bombardment," Brennan added.