Dehradun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna on Saturday visited disaster affected areas at Mori and Badkot in Uttarkashi district and reaffirmed the government's commitment to provide all help to victims.

"We will ensure that relief reaches each and every victim," the chief minister said after making an on-the-spot assessment of the situation.

Claiming that the government had spent more on relief than the prevailing norms, Bahuguna said he was aware of the degree of damage caused by the cloudburst which had claimed 28 lives and rendered thousands homeless in the  district.

He said the district administration had been instructed to ensure not a single person was deprived of relief amount.

He said all those whose houses had been destroyed had been given suitable compensation.

Bahuguna said he had visited disaster affected Uttarkashi twice earlier and had complete details of loss.

He assured the local people that repair work of bridges would be expedited.

Bahuguna stated that the model code of conduct was in force in view of the October 10 Tehri Lok Sabha bypoll and he could make no announcements.

Nevertheless, it would be ensured that there would be no reduction in the relief amount, he said.

Bahuguna also held meeting with district officials to review the relief works.

He received information about the losses incurred due to flood at Kharadi village and directed the irrigation department to take appropriate measures to provide relief to the affected people.

He instructed officers to execute relief works at flood affected areas in Purola and Mori and reinstate water, electricity supply and repair damaged bridge and roads at Govindpur area at the earliest.

The chief minister was accompanied by Disaster Management, Irrigation and Revenue Minister Yashpal Arya, MLA Kedar Singh Rawat and former MLA Rajesh Junwatha.


Latest News from Uttarakhand News Desk