A Punjab Rangers official said that explosives and a suicide jacket had been found during a search operation in the area.
    
"The suicide vest stuffed with explosives and ball bearings has been defused by the bomb disposal squad," he said.
    
The law enforcement agencies arrested 20 'suspects' from the Wagah border areas during the search operation.
    
Lahore police spokesman Niyab Haider Naqvi said that the law enforcement agencies launched operation in the residential areas in Wagah after the attack and taken 20 suspects into custody.

READ: Wagah attack in Pakistan a 'dastardly act of terrorism': PM Modi

"A joint investigation team of police, rangers and intelligence agencies have started its probe into the incident. The army and rangers along with police will provide security to Muharram processions in Lahore and they have been put on high alert in the wake of Sunday's attack," he said.
    
They also arrested a suspected suicide-bomber from Multan district, some 350 kilometres from Lahore.
    
The Lahore police yesterday issued a sketch of 17-year-old Abdul Rehman who had gone missing from a seminary in old city of Lahore for a month.

ALSO READ: Land trade between India, Pakistan halted after Wagah blast

"The police along with an intelligence agency have raided a house in Multan district and arrested Abdul Rehman," Naqvi said, adding Rehman has been shifted to unknown place for interrogation.
    
At least 61 people, including 10 women, eight children and three security personnel, have died in the attack that took place yesterday when a suicide attacker detonated a powerful bomb at Wagah. Over 100 injured are being treated in different hospitals in Lahore.
    
Three militant factions, including splinter groups of the Taliban, have separately claimed responsibility for the suicide attack that took place after the popular flag-lowering ceremony at Wagah.
    
Al-Qaeda affiliated militant group Jundullah (Soldiers of Allah), a splinter group of the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), was the first to claim the attack.

READ MORE: India, Pakistan call off border ritual after suicide bomb

Shortly afterwards Jamaat-ul-Ahrar said its bomber Hafiz Hanifullah carried out the attack. Later, a lesser-known Mahar Mehsud group also claimed responsibility for the bombing.
    
Hours after cancelling the beating retreat ceremony at Wagah following a deadly suicide attack, Pakistan today allowed general public to view the popular ceremony.

India strongly condemned the dastardly terrorist attack at Wagah in Pakistan in which at least 61 people were killed, saying there was no grievance or political goal so great as to justify it.

In a statement here, External Affairs Ministry said, "There is no grievance or political goal so great as to justify such a cowardly act. We believe that only the firmest and most comprehensive action against all terror groups without any distinction is the only way to defeat this evil scourge."
    
The Ministry also said India's "prayers will remain with the families of the victims, who we hope will be granted the courage and fortitude to overcome this irreparable loss that they have just suffered.".

The death toll in the horrific suicide attack that shook Pakistan minutes after the popular flag-lowering ceremony at Wagah climbed to 61 on Monday, even as security agencies arrested about 20 suspects from the Indo-Pak border area.

Latest News from World News Desk