Urban and Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu announced names of 20 cities under Smart City Mission in the first phase. JPN/Raju Kumar
Madhya Pradesh cheered by bagging three smart cities, whereas states like Bihar, Uttarakhand, West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh have not found place in the first list of 20 cities.
Meanwhile, Modi government has made budgetary allocation of whooping Rs 50,802 crore for 20 cities. India had its 'metro city' concept basis of which New Delhi, Bangaluru, Kolkata and other cities had been developed so now the billion dollor question is how the PM Modi's pet project is different to 'metro city' concept.
Here, we enlisted highlights of the project that will surely allure you:
1. The smart city will have 24x7 electricity and water supply.The hi-tech city will have full surveillance.
2. The smart cities will have an automated waste disposal system.
3. The modern cities will be governed by e-governance mechanisms.
4. The estimated cost of the project is approax Rs 3 lakh crore.
5. Centre and states will bear the cost incurred on the projects.
6. The government made the list of cities on the basis of pre-defined criteria. Bhubaneswar topped the first list of Smart Cities.
7. The smart cities will establish institutions and community-based problem solving and collaborations to prevent from red-tapism.
8. Efficient use of physical infrastructure (roads, built environment and other physical assets) through artificial intelligence and data analytics will be USP of the city.
9. The project incorporates suggestions of local people and administration. Also, it assures inclusion of e-participation of citizens for collective intelligence.
10. There is no uniform map for all cities. According to local requirements, states will suggest to build modern township.
Urban and Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu announced names of 20 cities under Smart City Mission in the first phase.