Bangalore: Reacting to the new UK visa norms denying permission to the non-European Union students for post-study jobs in that country, Union External Affairs Minister SM Krishna on Friday said that he would get the details of the fresh decision of the UK government in this regard to analyze the matter.

READ MORE: Now, Indian students can’t work in UK as post study visa regime ends 

The new visa norms of the British government comes to fore from Friday denying permission to the students to work in Britain for two years after completion of their courses as a part of drive to cut migration.

Speaking to media Krishna said, "I am seeing media reports. I have asked the High Commissioner to brief me on this."
Under the Tier 1 (Post-study work) route, Indian and other non-EU students were able to take up work for two years in the UK after the completion of their university courses.

 This route is being closed from Friday.

The facility was popular among self-financing Indian students who sought to recover some of the expenses of their studies by working for two years. It also enabled them to gain work experience in the UK that was seen to aid career prospects in India.

There are already reports of falling numbers of Indian students applying for university courses starting from September 2012. From Friday, following the closure of the facility, international students will be able to apply for leave to remain in the UK under other immigration routes if they meet the criteria, but most such students are unlikely to meet the higher income level and other criteria.

International students are estimated to contribute over 14 billion pounds annually to the UK economy. The closure of the post-study route was opposed by Universities UK and the British Council, given the possibility that the measure would reduce Britain's attraction as a destination for students from India and other non-EU countries.

Prime Minister David Cameron had promised to crack down on immigration at last year’s Conservative party’s conference.