According to various media reports, the family cut off Mandela's eldest grandson Mandla and heir to the clan title since the icon's death on December 5.
    
But his ex-wife Winnie Madikizela-Mandela slammed "mischievous innuendos" and "apartheid-style" tactics. "Numerous articles, op-eds, reports, and editorials...have hammered on the idea that the Mandela family is at war with itself since the news first broke that Madiba is no longer with us," said her spokesman Thato Mmereki in a statement, referring to Mandela by his clan name.
    
"These reports have done nothing but use half-truths to case a shadow on the Mandela family during their time of bereavement,” Mmereki said.
    
According to local media, locks were changed at Mandela's rural Eastern Cape house shortly after his eldest daughter, Makaziwe, arrived there on Thursday - a week after her father's death and three days before his funeral.
    
Water and electricity were disconnected on the eve of Mandela's state burial in Qunu on Sunday at the end of a 10-day official mourning period followed by millions around the world.
    
Makaziwe is said to have overseen the funeral preparations, while Mandla was the public face of the family - remaining with the coffin in a solemn vigil throughout three days of lying in state at the Union Buildings in Pretoria last week.
    
Mandla Mandela, accusing some of his aunts of trying to gain control over the Mandela millions, moved the remains of his late father, Makgatho, who died of AIDS in 2005, and Mandela's two other deceased children to Mvezo, a village near Qunu where the anti-apartheid hero was born and Mandla is the tribal chief.

Mandla was forced by a court order to return the remains to Qunu.  Madikizela-Mandela said yesterday there is no succession or dynasty debate in the Mandela family.

(Agencies)

Latest News from World News Desk