New Delhi: Melody queen, Lata Mangeshkar who has lent her golden voice to over 30,000 songs in a career spanning seven decades turns one year older as she celebrates her 83rd birthday today. The Bharat Ratna recipient has sung for more than 1,000 movies. She has not only lent her voice to Hindi songs but has also sung for thirty six different regional languages. Lataji also won the ‘Guinness book of world record’ for recording maximum songs between the years 1974 to 1991.
|Can’t relate to contemporary music: Lata|
|Lata's claims on Rafi court controversy|
|Lata fights for music copyrights|
|Why should Sachin Tendulkar retire: Lata|
|I never thought about marriage: Lata|
Starting her career in 1942 with Marathi songs, Lata first ventured into Hindi movies with the song 'Paa lagoon kar jori' for Vasant Joglekar's movie 'Aap Ki Seva Mein' in 1946. Two years later, composer Ghulam Haider gave Lata her first major break with the song 'Dil mera toda' in 'Majboor' and after that there was no looking back for the nightingale of India, as she is fondly called. She has worked with all the major composers of the bygone era and mesmerised the current lot too.
The versatile singer has covered all genres of music, be it romantic songs or bhajans. The popularity of Lataji and her songs is unparalleled.
Lata Mangeshkar’s all time favourite songs:
1. Tere bina zindagi se koi…..(Andhi)
2. Wadaaa karo.…(Aa gale lag jaa)
3. Tum aa gaye ho nor aa gaya…..(Andhi)
4. Teri bindiya re….(Abhiman)
5. Neela asmaan so gaya….(Silsila)
6. Gata rahe mera dil….(Guide)
7. Kasma wade…..(Kasme Waade)
8. Tujhe dekha to ye janaa sanam (Dilwale SDulhaniya Le Jayenge)
9. Humko hami se chura lo….(Mohabbatein)
10. Karvatein badalte rahe….(Aapki Qasam)