AIBA's Communication Director Sebastien Gillot said that the decision to toughen the stand against the Indian Boxing Federation (IBF) post the World Championships was taken at the world body's annual meeting last month. (Agencies)
"At its annual meeting held on July 16-18, 2013 in Jeju Island, Korea, the AIBA Executive Committee decided to ask the Indian Boxing Federation (IBF) to organise new elections as soon as possible (within 3 months, thus no later than November 4, 2013) according to the AIBA Statutes and Bylaws as well as to the AIBA election guidelines, and in the presence of an Electoral Returning Officer who will oversee the whole election process," Gillot said.
"Until such time the above process is completed, the IBF is still provisionally suspended,” he said.
"All its membership rights have been suspended including the participation of Indian boxers and coaches in any AIBA competition from now on, except for any competition for which an authorisation to participate has already been granted, which is the case in respect of the AIBA World Boxing Championships Almaty 2013," he added.
The World Championships will take place from October 11 to 27 and trials for the event, which were postponed without any clear reason, are currently being held here to pick the team.
Gillot said the Indian Boxing Federation's Constitution was also recently "revised by AIBA and sent back to the IBF for its comments and approval".
"No communication has been received so far from the IBF," Gillot said.
"By allowing the IBF time to reorganise itself, the AIBA Executive Committee is giving a chance to the Indian Federation to resolve this matter. AIBA sincerely hopes that the IBF will cooperate with us and comply with the Executive Committee decision," he added.
The IBF was suspended last year with AIBA citing two reasons for the drastic step. One being India's suspension from the IOC and other being "possible manipulation" in the IBF elections.
The Indian boxers have been allowed to compete internationally so far under the AIBA flag but officials have been completely barred from any event.
AIBA's Communication Director Sebastien Gillot said that the decision to toughen the stand against the Indian Boxing Federation (IBF) post the World Championships was taken at the world body's annual meeting last month.