Sanaa: Clashes between the Yemeni Army and tribal fighters in the southern city of Taiz have left at least 28 people dead over the past three days, activists and medical officials said on Sunday, despite a power transfer deal signed by the President aimed at ending the country's political crisis.
   
Mohammed al-Shogaa, a doctor working at a makeshift field hospital in main protest square, said that shelling by government forces of residential areas since Friday had killed
13 civilians, among them three children and two women.
   
Activists and residents said at least eight tribal fighters also were killed, while the Defence Ministry said that seven Army troops were killed over the same period.
   
Al-Shogaa said at least 53 people have been wounded, and that ambulances and rescue workers have not been able to reach wounded civilians because of ongoing street fighting in the impoverished Arab nation.
   
Three hospitals in Taiz reported being shelled by the country's Republican Guards, led by longtime President Ali Abdullah Saleh's son.
   
Taiz, a hotbed of anti-Saleh protests and Yemen's second-largest city, has been regularly shelled by the military in response to hit-and-run attacks by armed tribesmen.
   
The violence has raged despite an agreement signed by Saleh late last month to step down. The deal transfers power to the Vice President and grants Saleh immunity from prosecution.
   
Meanwhile, Vice President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi's office issued a statement on Sunday saying that a military committee of 14 opposition and loyalist generals had been formed.
   
The committee is to suggest reforms for Yemen's security forces that aim to purge both the defence and interior ministries of individuals who have committed crimes against protesters during Saleh's reign.
   
It is to present its findings to a new transitional Cabinet, once it has been formed.

(Agencies)